Clallam County Watchdog
Clallam County Watchdog
Port Angeles Crime Is Down—Or Is It Just That People Stopped Calling?
0:00
-46:47

Port Angeles Crime Is Down—Or Is It Just That People Stopped Calling?

City leaders cite a drop in serious crime, residents see something different

Police just put out numbers showing serious crime dropped 16 percent last year. A Facebook post reported seven rapes happened in one July week, and the comments exploded. CC Watchdog pulled the reports. Here’s what they show.

The Numbers the City Wants You to See

In the Peninsula Daily News, Port Angeles Police Chief Brian Smith recently highlighted encouraging figures from the Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs’ annual Crime in Washington report.

Group A offenses — serious crimes including murder, assault, burglary, robbery and arson — fell 16.2 percent in the city, from 1,600 in 2024 to 1,341 in 2025. The rate settled at 65.6 crimes per 1,000 residents, among the lower marks in recent years. Clallam County recorded a 10 percent decline, while Sequim saw a 6.9 percent reduction.

Statewide trends moved in the same direction: crimes against persons down 7.3 percent, property crimes down 21.3 percent, violent crime down 13.8 percent and murders down 21.6 percent. Smith pointed to several contributing factors, among them the identification and prosecution of prolific offenders, the 2024 rollback of vehicular pursuit restrictions, substance-abuse treatment programs, improved staffing and advances in investigative technology.

Those numbers are real. Yet many residents remain skeptical, arguing that the decline partly reflects people who have simply stopped calling 911 after repeated experiences in which reports produced little follow-through.


The Facebook Post That Fueled Concern

A recent social-media post said that Port Angeles recorded seven rapes in a single week in July and asked what was happening to the town. The claim circulated widely.

CC Watchdog obtained the corresponding police incident and case reports.


Examining the July Reports

Two calls came in on July 27. The first involved a 74-year-old resident with dementia at St. Andrews Place on East Park Avenue. Staff reported that the woman stated she had been raped in her room. Officers found no injuries, no signs of forced entry and no description of a suspect. She was transported for a SANE examination. The following day she no longer recalled making the report and said she felt safe. Medical notes were consistent with dementia, and her power of attorney confirmed a history of similar unfounded claims. The case was closed.

The same day, there was a call concerning a historical disclosure of a sexual assault that had occurred months earlier. It was not a new offense from that week.

On July 25, an incident at Laurel Place Assisted Living involved another elderly resident with dementia who accused staff of assault and rape. Facility personnel noted a pattern of inaccurate accusations. No injuries were observed, and the matter was handled as a suspicious-circumstances call with no charges filed.

Another incident centered on a woman in custody who disclosed a sexual assault she said occurred on the day of her July 15 arrest. Her account shifted among locations and time frames, some recent and some older, and involved drug-related circumstances. She ultimately indicated she did not wish to pursue the matter further. The case was closed pending additional information.

WARNING: This police report contains graphic content.

One incident was a report of a rape that took place the previous May — again a delayed disclosure.

One incident involved a therapist reporting a disclosure by a 15-year-old client about an incident that occurred more than a month earlier after the minor met someone on Snapchat.

WARNING: The following police report contains graphic descriptions of an alleged sexual assault of a minor.

An incident from July 4 concerned a report of inappropriate touching involving a 14 year old male and eight year old female. The file is heavily redacted.

WARNING: The following police report contains graphic descriptions of an alleged sexual assault involving a child.

Additional reports obtained in the same request — disturbances, older follow-ups and suspicious-person calls — were unrelated to new July sexual assaults.


No Evidence of a Serial Offender or Sudden Wave

Taken together, the documents do not show evidence of a serial rapist. The cases involve different victims, different circumstances, delayed disclosures and, in several instances, statements from individuals with documented cognitive impairments. Multiple files were closed after investigators found insufficient evidence to proceed.

The official reduction in Group A crimes stands as reported. The gap between those numbers and public perception, however, remains wide open. For some residents, that gap is explained by a simple calculation: calling 911 too often produces little more than a closed file, so they stop calling at all.


“Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” — Aaron Levenstein


Get Engaged: Charter Amendments

The 2025 Charter Review Commission’s work may have ended in December, but this November voters will decide on several key proposed amendments to the county charter. Two of the most significant questions on the ballot: whether to establish an enforceable code of ethics for elected officials, and whether county commissioners should be required to hold regular, scheduled town halls throughout the county each year.

Tomorrow morning, former Charter Review Commissioners and engaged residents will present both the pro and con arguments on these measures.

The Port Angeles Business Association invites the public to their Tuesday, August 18 meeting as they welcome panelists Ronald Richards, Jim Stoffer, Cindy Kelly, Alex Fane, and Andrea Williams. They will break down the details, share both sides of the debate, and answer questions so you can better understand how these potential changes could affect our community.

When & Where

  • Tuesday, August 18

  • 7:30 a.m.

  • Jazzy Joshua’s Restaurant, 113 S Del Guzzi Dr, Port Angeles

  • The meeting will also be streamed live on their Facebook page.

PABA meetings are open to the public, though members are given the first opportunity to ask questions (one of many good reasons to join). Order a delicious breakfast if you’d like — non-diners will be charged a $5 fee that goes directly to Joshua’s.

Come get informed, hear both sides, and decide for yourself. See you there!

Leave a comment

This Week

  • Tuesday: Commissioner Forum Q&A at the weekly 10:00AM Board of Commissioners’ Meeting

  • Tuesday: Board of Health Meeting, 1:30PM, in the commissioners’ boardroom.

  • Wednesday: 6:00PM Seegers/French debate Sekiu Community Center.

  • Thursday - Sunday: Clallam County Fair!

Discussion about this episode

User's avatar

Ready for more?